Monday 5 October 2009

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="800" caption="Chicks, chicks and more chicks! I love baby chicks!"]Chicks, chicks and more chicks!  I love baby chicks![/caption]

Yep, the babies have arrived at last!  Twenty of them in fact!!!


[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Aren't they gorgeous!!!"]Arent they gorgeous!!![/caption]

And here are some more...

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Whitey the White White with some of her new chicks..."]Whitey the White White with some of her new chicks...[/caption]

I know they aren't the best pics, but we had to move Whitey the White White as it was (her nesting box was too high and we were worried the chicks might fall and get hurt), and Pecky lived up to her name and decided to have a go at Whitey's chicks.







We've put up a temporary barrier now though so they both have their own space with their individual broods.   Inside, we are up to day 22 with the incubator, so all things going well, we stop turning the eggs in 3 days time, and hopefully the ducklings and turkey will start to hatch in 6!  Exciting times!







Out in the garden, spring is in full swing.  If only we could get some decent rain, actually any rain would be nice!  I'm starting to worry the tank is going to run dry again, and I am so sick of having to drink town water!  We had 2mm rain this morning, just enough to dampen the soil, but I may have to get out there with the hose again this afternoon and water the seedlings.  The new

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="500" caption="Baby Peaches"]Baby Peaches[/caption]

fruit trees all seem to be establishing themselves well.  We have 5 baby peaches growing beautifully, and both lime trees are heavily laden with tiny little limes the size of a ladybug!  So cute!  The cumquat is throwing heaps of new leaves and the grape must have quadrupled in size in the few weeks we

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="500" caption="Kaffir Limes budding"]Kaffir Limes budding[/caption]

have had it.  It's going to be fantastic when it reaches up to the verandah and we have shade from the hot summer morning sun, not to mentions the luscious fruit!  The dragonfruit is growing well, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to trellis it, I am all ears!  It is supposed to be a climber of

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="500" caption="Yep, these were nothing but a single raspberry cane this time last year!"]Yep, these were nothing but a single raspberry cane this time last year![/caption]

sorts, but it doesn't throw out tendrils!?!?!?  We have finally put the 2 kiwi fruit in the ground now.  Matthew put up 3 star pickets and some chook wire down the front of the block for them, and they seem to be settling in well.  The grapefruit has dropped its "bridal bouquet" as Ange called it and replaced it

[caption id="" align="alignright" width="500" caption="My u-beaut home made worm farm"]My u-beaut home made worm farm[/caption]

with more fruit than you would find at a greengrocer!  For such a small tree that has been in the ground for such a small time, I can't believe it!  I think I will be having to cull quite a few of the fruit so they don't snap the branches.  Mind you, if it fruits like that every year, I'll be making heaps of marmalade and grapefruit pate de fruits!  Yummy!

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="800" caption="Freshly picked peas and a little visitor"]Freshly picked peas and a little visitor[/caption]

All the seedlings I had been raising in the broccoli boxes are now in the ground too.  We have 5 varieties of tomato and tomatillo, beetroot, daikon, jicama, sweet corn, 3 varieties of eggplant, golden zucchini and lebanese cucumbers and on and on goes the list.  Now that they are all in the ground, I'm hoping they'll take off for a bumper summer harvest!  The most exciting thing in the garden at the moment though, is my new herb garden.  It is huge!  I've put it smack bang in the middle of the front yard so I can gaze upon it as I wash the dishes.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="My new herb garden"]My new herb garden[/caption]

It's right at the bottom of the front steps, so nice and convenient access to both the kitchen and the wood fired ovens.  It has 16 different herbs and about a dozen or so different lettuces and salad greens.  I'm really looking forward to when the growth takes off in there.  It is going to look spectacular as well as taste divine!  Seriously, how could you not love fresh food?  I did have a chuckle to myself the other day as I pottered about the garden.  My how my wardrobe has changed in 18 months!  Gone are the Dianna Ferrari frocks, Whittner shoes and handbags, makeup and high heels!  Now I get about in either gumboots or riding boots with old faded jeans, a long sleeved cotton check shirt (gotta be sun smart!!), and an akubra! Laughed my backside off at myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment